Monday, June 11, 2007

I expect to be confused

Okay, so I'm doing some packing of random things (in theory, I'm still moving to the midwest) and I find this poem:

I do my thing,
and you do your thing.

I am not in this world
to live up to your
expectations

And you are not in this
world to live up to mine.

You are you and I am I,

And if by chance we find
each other,

It's beautiful.

-Fredrick S. Perls



Immediately after reading it, my brain was swamped -- 'I do my thing, and you do your thing'... but what's meant by 'thing' and to what extent does this 'thing' go? 'I am not in this world to live up to your expectations...' Well, that's right... to an extent...

This last part catches my attention (and this is the main point of the post). 'Expectation'. Boy that's a heavy word... I can reasonably expect that my neighbor won't try to kill me (stupid people are somehow free to attack, however), and vice versa. And when I walk into a store, I expect a reasonable environment, full of people and their expected, albeit unpredictable, variations in personality -- which might change the reasonable-ness of the environment. But, what of the mother who refuses to restrain her tantrum-throwing child? Setting aside what I think I would have done, what can I reasonably be expected to do? Bite my tongue, close my ears, and suffer the headache in the name of good-will and tolerance? Am I expected to admonish the mother, or suggest a different approach? But, isn't that a form of infringement?

It relates back to 'suggesting' changes in moral behavior. I'm learning that you can suggest all you want, but at some point you have to walk away -- if only to save the situation from becoming more frustrated, if not yourself.

But all we can do is suggest... in the right way, in the right place, at the right time, with the right person... and hope that some change occurs... eventually...

Oy! - How friggin' daunting... (lots of things are feeling daunting right now... it's the word of the month!)

3 comments:

David K. Braden-Johnson said...

Sometimes, we are required to do more than merely offer suggestions -- when we vote in a democracy for example, we are exercising our civic obligation and legal right to influence policy. Too bad, however, that our current "government of the people" sees our votes and actions as mere "suggestions" about such important matters as war and peace; so much white noise simply to be ignored in their rush to mame, murder, and plunder.

Diseria / Tanya said...

Voting as a civic obligation...

In light of the 'current' government, is it still our civic obligation to vote? If so, why? (Indeed, why bother?)

Democracy is great, but falls to incomplete implementation. And it's the incomplete implementation that's biting us in the ass... I don't think my vote, or any number of votes, will change the system or its implementation. In theory, yes, it should. In practice, as we're learning (again), it won't. Or, at least, hasn't so far.

Am I simply pessimistic? Should I run out to the polling booths and cast my vote like a good American in the hopes that a) it'll be counted correctly, and b) it'll actually affect change?

In good consciousness, I cannot. ...and that's what those in power are counting on. (Of course, what difference does it make whether or not I vote -- they'll just modify the numbers anyhow!)

I think I'm with Jesus on this one... the only way change is going to occur is from within the people. And the only way the change will stick is if the people refuse to put their oppressive boots on someone else's neck...

I'd lobby to start a country someplace else, one that embodies the virtues that America pays lip-services to. However, I'm fairly certain that we'd just be taken over and used as a tourist attraction. Or worse... a military outpost.

My only comfort is the knowledge that change will come whether you want it to or not. It never comes the way you think it will, but dang it... the pendulum must swing.

David K. Braden-Johnson said...

I suppose, even during these relatively undemocratic times, it's still our obligation (and right) to vote, but we must ammend that with other actions designed to affect change.